How-to article describing the process for setting up POAP Checkout
Number of steps: 3
Time commitment: 10 minutes
Before you can use POAP Checkout, you need to create a POAP drop. You will need the POAP ID and edit code that you received when creating your POAP drop.
Step 1: Start
To start, navigate to https://checkout.poap.xyz/ and click the “Set up POAP sale” button.
- Home page
Step 2: Setting up your POAP sale
On the page that follows (image below), fill in the details of the POAP drop, your email address, sale price, payment address, on which network(s) you’d like to receive ETH payments and whether you want to show a counter on the sales page. Once you’ve filled in all the details, click “Set up POAP sale.”
- Set up sale page
- Currently, the sale price can’t be changed after set up!
- POAP charges a certain % transaction fee, which is noted on the top of the page. This fee is collected by sending the money from some transactions to a POAP wallet (instead of the issuer). For example, if we charge 5%, then every 20th transaction goes to POAP. If the fee is 5% and only 10 POAPs are sold, there is no charge.
- Your drop ID can be found in the confirmation email you received after setting up your POAP drop.
- Your edit code is the code you received in the POAP drop confirmation email.
- Your email should be an email we can use to contact you regarding any issues with your sale.
- Payment address: any valid Etheruem address or ENS that has a ethereum wallet associated to it.
Step 3: Distributing and managing your POAP sale
After creating your sale, you will be greeted with an admin panel (image below). This panel allows you to see the sale data and to manage potential errors. The link to this admin panel will also sent to you via email.
- Admin panel overview
Under “Your POAP sale” you can copy the sales page link to your clipboard (image below). This is the URL of your POAP Checkout page, on which people can purchase your POAP. On the sales page, the potential buyer can preview the POAP, the price, and the methods they can use to purchase.
- Copy link zoom + sales page
In the “Manage your POAP sale” section, you can pause and delete your POAP sale. It is also possible to refresh the “POAPs left for sale” counter that the buyer sees on the sales page. If you also distribute your POAP through other methods, the POAP Checkout counter might not register these other mints. Click “Refresh mint links counter” to refresh the counter on your POAP Checkout page manually.
- Manage your POAP sale
Important things to know
- Never send the admin link to users!
After creating your Checkout, you will be shown (and emailed) your admin link. Anyone with access to this link can manually send people POAPs, so do not share it!
- Send the Checkout link to anyone you want to offer the sale
Anyone with the Checkout link can pay for the POAP. You may wish to restrict access to this link within a community, but there is no way to enforce who can or cannot buy the POAP once they have the link.
POAP Checkout works mostly off-chain. That means that sometimes it fails to see transactions made by users. These issues are uncommon, but the admin panel has a few ways of dealing with potential problems.
Problem 1: User paid and received no POAP
Cause 1: The system failed to see the transaction.
Before a user is asked to make a transaction, POAP Checkout saves the user’s wallet address and marks it as “this person is trying to pay.” If, after that happens, POAP Checkout is unable to see the transaction made by the user on-chain, it is added to the “Potentially stuck transactions” list.
- Potentially stuck transactions
If you go to the user’s block explorer by clicking “View transaction history” and see that, indeed, they paid, you may click the “Send POAP” button to force the system to send them a POAP.
⚠️ NOTE: Always manually check whether entries in this list paid. Don’t just click “Send POAP” to everyone.
Cause 2: POAP core systems are slow
There are a few possible reasons why POAPs are slow to mint. If you suspect the POAP system is causing slowdowns, you can check:
- The POAP API status
- The POAP xDai contract transaction list for pending transactions
In general, allow an hour between the Checkout confirming transactions and POAPs arriving before you start to worry. The average mint time is approximately one minute, but during busy times it is not unusual that it takes an hour.
Problem 2: Many users paid and received no POAP
This should never happen, but just in case we created a disaster recovery tool. Only use this only if a lot of users paid but did not receive their POAP. The only situations that this could occur is if there is a massive bug in either POAP Checkout, a wallet extension, or a blockchain node client software.
If this scenario occurs, you can use the disaster recovery tool to upload a list of wallets that paid and the system will show you which people did not yet receive POAPs. Note that you still have to manually distribute the POAPs to those people (for example, via a POAP Delivery).
- Disaster recovery
To use this tool:
- To go to the Etherscan (or arbiscan) of the address that has been receiving payments. It might look like: https://etherscan.io/address/0xyour_address
- Export the transactions of this address by scrolling down and clicking “Download CSV export”
- CSV export
- Disaster recovery field
To keep up to date, subscribe to our Newsletter, follow us on Twitter and come join the conversation on Discord.